Pages

20100922

Nadir (Nay, Dear)


Boston City Hall Plaza, June 13, 2001 (before 9/11 changed everything). I did not take this picture, but I was at this rally - I challenge someone to name a more.. pitiful, abstract, and somehow wonderful rally.

Everyone was there because Ray Borque won the Stanley Cup playing for the Colorado Avalanche a few days earlier. Think of it - a rally for a dude on a different team. But consider the context - at this date, Boston had not won any title since 1986. So, all these poor sports fans were simply starved for something - anything, really - to celebrate. Now, I didn't really care about any of that - I was there because I worked right around the corner, a bunch of people from work were going, it was an awesome June day to skip out of work, and, really, I was in awe of the pitiful, pathetic nature of it all.

Sports - a charade, literally, our bread n' circus - stirs such primal, tribal feelings in people. It's religious in its fervor. I wanted to witness it, soak it all up, in person. Also, I wanted to see the Stanley Cup, mostly for the fascinating, totemistic qualities people have invested in it.

There's lessons there, future oppressors.

Also, look at all the white folks!

No comments: