Pages

20100918

Dione and Titan


In the foreground, Dione; in the background, mighty Titan. Both moons of Saturn, who has many moons. Titan is a wonder - a thick atmosphere obscures the surface, a surface which holds liquid flowing in rivers, streams, flowing into lakes, swelling in to the wind lapped oceans. This liquid is methane, but still, it represents the second of two planets with liquid flowing on the surface. The other being, Earth, of course.

You know, if we could (somehow) redirect all the military spending on Earth towards space travel, we would already have colonized the inner solar system. It is within our grasp right now, but our desire to fear our brothers and sisters causes us instead to gird our collective loins in nuclear girdles and robotic drawers. We easily - if we all chose - could be one people, exploring the solar system, instead of a collection of petty tribes bickering over a lemon tree.

As the Buddha might have said: Paradise is already here; we just have to realize it. 

5 comments:

l.e.s.ter said...

It would be great if our generation could step up and form a forebear Federation and break this cycle. But I don't think it's the generation that's the problem, it's what happens to power-possessing individuals on this planet.

Redshirt said...

I'll push something up some pyramid, y'all.

Redshirt said...

What I meant to say was "hello, join me in a breakfast feast - eggs, potatoes, onions, peppers of many stripes..

veralynn said...

no bacon?

Redshirt said...

Alas, not if I'm cooking. Vegetarian and all - I'm a real hippy.

That said, bacon is the one meat that at all still calls to me - when I smell it sizzling in the morning behind my bedroom door.... smells great!

But it's just a passing fancy.