Pages

20130717

The Power of Minstrels

A powerful lineup, and influential. Each of these men had a not insignificant role in shaping the flavor of race relations in America today.

I wonder what the real effect of entertainers, sports figures, and other celebrities is on race issues. I assume it's significant over time in terms of cultural awareness. Whether that translates tangibly to non-celebrities, I don't know.

Anyone got a study?

Also too, and said before: If you've not watched Sanford and Son in some time, or ever, please do. It's amazing.

3 comments:

l.e.s.ter said...

I only vaguely remember Sanford and Son from childhood reruns. This show is edgier than I think? I saw that an actor on the revised version of the program died this week and it made me wonder what I'd missed. Time to hit up Hulu?

AbstruseOddity said...

Harlem Nights is probably the most anti-female film I've ever seen. Also too, hilarious.

Redshirt said...

It's not that S&S is edgy, but rather genuinely funny, and wonderfully dated. It's like a time capsule. Definitely catch a few episodes and see what you think.

Also, I'm on Team Ghost Dad.