Pages

20100524

So it goes

I liked it. A lot. Here's the last shot - thematically bringing it all back to the beginning, and I believe the writers when they say they had this final shot planned from the beginning.

To summarize (Spoilers!): The Alt universe was purgatory; it's timeless, so people can die at different times and still be there together. This purgatory was created by the collective survivors, or maybe just Jack.

Everything we saw on the Island happened, and the Alt Universe was the heavenly coda, occurring perhaps long, long after the actual events depicted (consider that Hurley might remain Island protector for thousands of years, with Ben as his faithful number 2).  

On the Island, as per the Alt reality scene between Sawyer and Juliet (she tells him to unplug the machine then plug it back in to get his candy bar), Jack reboots the island. It was only during the reboot that Smokey could be, and was, killed. Thus, no more Smoke Monster. I think.

I've got a lot to say about this episode, but not much time now. I found it very emotional, and I very much like the fact the story goes on - Sawyer and Kate (and Lapidus! And Alpert!) escaped the Island (probably because the rules about leaving were gone), Hurley and Ben are the Guardians, Desmond is still on Island but one assumes he gets to leave and reunite with Penny.

Jack's dead, but he died nobly - and is that not reward in itself?

Finally, as I've been hypothesizing all along, Vincent was the key to everything:
And even though I was emotionally invested in this show, it was still a fictional dog that got me worst of all. Good boy. 

4 comments:

l.e.s.ter said...

But what was the shot of the downed plane at the end? Wasn't that Sawyer, Kate, Lapidus, Alpert et al crashing back to the island and dying? Was Alpert not cool enough to join everybody in Purgatory?

Redshirt said...

That was the plane escaping the island. And they did not die at that time - the Sideways world was timeless, and so Kate and Sawyer might have lived 40 years after the events on the island, then died, and only then would they arrive in this Sideways World.

It also might be argued the entire show was from Jack's point of view, and thus that was Jack's personal redemption we saw, and no one else's.

veralynn said...

After digesting it, I find I liked it too. My only remaining question is what the hell was the Walt story? Did they have a cool island/Walt mind meld thing going and then couldn't do it because the actor grew 2 feet? Any thoughts? That is the one thing that bugs me...they built it up and if they answered it, I missed it.

Thanks Redshirt for your love of the show. I hope they make it into a book....I would love to revisit the island again.

Redshirt said...

The real story is yes, Walt grew two feet. The in-story is, I guess, the island was done with him. He was just a lure to get the Others mixed up with the Candidates. sure!

I find it interesting Smokey could appear as Walt. Walt ain't dead, so how does that work?